• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

mommy-daddy foods?

BeckyLee

Bluelighter
In the book "food swings," by barnet meltzer, md, he refers to junk-food we ate as children growing up as our "mommy-daddy foods"... He also comes to the (correct, IME) conclusion that those foods are the hardest habit to break, as they bring up so many wonderful memories.

What are some mommy-daddy foods you have/are having a hard time giving up and why?

For me it has been crusty Italian/French bread fresh from the market. Growing up with an Italian mother, we always had crusty bread as a side to all our meals. I have cut out most grains from my diet, especially refined, but whenever I pass the bakery section at the grocery, I smell, and crave the fresh crusty bread, just waiting for me to buy it. I actually avoid the bakery section now. I'm wondering if other people have had this same experience?

I eat an almost completely different diet from when I was a kid. I used to eat a lot of fast food and be fairly chubby. My parents did not (and still do not) cook. Now I am the opposite: no fast food, quite skinny, and I prepare all my own food. All that has remained is that I like pasta with parmeasan (and now many other toppings), but today I do not eat it nearly as much and only eat whole wheat pasta.

Last edited:
I eat pretty much the same stuff I ate as a kid... seriously. Chocolate milk is probably my favorite drink. I have added healthier things to my diet, more whole grains and things like that, but I didnt have a particularly bad diet as a kid and I'm perfectly healthy now so I see no reason to give up the foods that I love.